Monday, November 22, 2010

To the Middle of Nowhere

Since our move from Brooks 3 1/2 years ago or so, we have bounced from place to place, Crossfield, Trochu, Innisfail, and now......Moose Jaw. We are now moving on to Moose Jaw Saskatchewan! I have to put it in writing or I will never be able to admit it to myself. I am SO not looking forward to this move. I am Albertan born and bred and I do not take kindly to the idea of moving to the barren wasteland that is Saskatchewan. Okay, okay, it's not exactly wasteland...it's bigger than Brooks, but man, I really don't want to go!!

Sadly, Kaye has been offered the job he's been wanting for years. He will now be the new Plant Superintendent of Thunder Creek Pork. He's been wanting to run a plant for a good number of years and someone finally thought he should do it too. He worked for a man for about 6 months years ago who remembered his promise and called him up and offered him the job. After a lot of *discussions* and excuses on my part as to why we cannot move, we finally decided that the opportunity is just too big not to go. Okay, it was actually Kaye who decided and I guess that means I have to go too.

I am not at all excited about the prospect of moving so far from everything that I know, but if I am being fair, at Sunterra they do not have medical benefits and RRSPs and the like and they do there, with of course, a pay raise. They also give him 3 weeks instead of 2 for vacation and an awesome moving allowance which means no loading and unloading the house, and they are going to put Kaye up until we get out there and help with rent until our house in Trochu sells. I know, so stupid. When will it ever sell?? I am quite stressed out about that part of it to tell you the truth.

Anyway, there it is. I thought I better write it down and come to grips with what is actually happening. It's really disappointing because I really like Innisfail. It is the best town we've lived in since Brooks. Kaye's super excited though. He'll be starting his new job December 13.

6 comments:

Kimara said...

Shocking! Moose jaw?! I think you may like it there we really enjoy going on a little vacations there so you will see us one of these days. The spa and tunnels are amazing and they have some great shops downtown. It is nice that they will move you and as for paying rent for house to sell that is a big blessing....things just don't seem to be moving.
Sigh I feel your pain though moving and adjusting is hard. Good luck!

Kathy T. said...

Ahh Kristen, you guys have been through so much change in the past few years - I feel for you. I really don't think Saskatchewan is all that bad - my bff lives in Regina. Now we'll have another person to visit along the way! Good luck with the moving! I really hope things work out well for you guys! (hugs)

Stephanie said...

YIKES!!
Well... I think that it is far away BUT am excited too for you. Somewhere different always is kind of fun and really, who can knock benefits???
Love the movig allowance too.
Good luck my friend!

Randa said...

boo for living even farther away but really - how often do i visit anyway? I'm pretty sure i don't get a vote =) Hopefully this will mean a place to settle for a while! yay for the benefits though - I just got out my wisdom teeth and I didn't have to pay 2 grand! we really enjoyed saskatoon so there is cool stuff in saskatchewan =)

Joanne said...

eek! the stress and the stress and don't forget the stress but you know what? it will be fabulous!!! They have a really big moose there and it is just fun to take pictures and yell here moose moose moose moose to it. so is that reason enough to like it?? Remember we are always here if you need us!!!!

mishel said...

Who ever thought naming a place Moose Jaw would be a good idea? Like really there was nothing better??? ;)
I know what it's like to move and not want to....like really not want to. But having done it and suffered through my self made agony way too long. Here's my advice, (for what it's worth) put on a happy face try to focus on the positive and make sure to try to get to know the people in your ward/ neighbourhood. It will make all the difference! "Funny" how it doesn't get any less scary to do new things as we get older...
I'll be thinking of you!{hugs}