Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I have finally read Twilight. I know....I'm not on the cutting edge of coolness. BUT, regardless, I LOVED IT!!! I totally understand your obsession Nancy. I picked it up while at my sister's house on the weekend and it didn't leave my hand until it was finished. I'm ashamed to admit, but I actually read until I couldn't read anymore, closed my eyes, took a nap, and then made myself wake up to read it again. It was SO good! I have now been converted. I can't wait to see the movie!!!

I also found another, granted less exciting, but nonetheless entertaining read out there. It is for all of us stay-at-home-moms. It is called SAHM I Am by Meredith Efken. It made me laugh out loud on several occasions. If you are looking for a cute, lighthearted book, this is the one for you.

Now, on to the venting part of my post.....
I'm curious to know how many feel the same as I. Two weeks or so ago, I received a letter from Marcus' school advertising that it is doing a fundraiser. That's fine. I'm not super into them but I'll do my part. What really got me was this...

"Our goal is that each student/family sell a minimum of $85 in sales, or if you choose not to sell we ask that you please provide a $50 cheque. In the past we have only done one fundraiser per year, but, if this one is not successful, we will be forced to do another fundraiser later in the year."

To me, that sounds like a money grab. If you aren't going to do the fundraiser, that's fine...you still have to give us money. If you want anything for your money, you need to give us $35 more! If you don't give enough, we'll make you do it again so it better be good!

Maybe I'm just being cheap, but I think that this is ridiculous. I've already shelled out $95 school fees, $110 bus fees, $50 at least for school supplies, $2 (obligatory) for the Terry Fox run, and $36 for hot lunches (which I have to admit are worth it. They even provide at Christmas a free turkey dinner for the kids.) It's only October 1st! This does not bode well for the rest of the year.....

4 comments:

Randa said...

im going to try not to think about how we will ever afford school! the forced fundraiser is nasty I might add. i still have like four more years right?

Joanne said...

whowwww..that makes me mad too. I think you should just move back here!!!!

Stephanie said...

I think that I would not be impressed AT ALL!!!! I just had a talk with the teacher about kids who get "tokens" for BUYING milk at school and milk drank at home not receiving the same rewards... I can only imagine. I think we pay enough into school "fee's" in many forms. I don't think I would do it - such a rebel!!!

Nancy said...

That suchs, seems like they really want to take you to the cleaners. What happens if you can't afford the fifty, huh? Glad your finally on board with the whole twilight thing, I just love all the books!!!!