Monday, December 8, 2008

Warm food on a cold night.

There really isn't anything much better than something warm and comforting on a chilly night. SO....in the Kronebusch household, we are having.....oatmeal. That's right. One of the best ways to warm up on a cold day, oh and because Kaye is refereeing basketball tonight and we are alone. So, I thought that I would share my favorite oatmeal recipe. It's to die for...in an oatmealy kind of way.

1 cup of rolled oats (I'm sure it doesn't matter but I use instant)

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 3/4 cups of milk

1/4 cup of brown sugar

pinch of salt

1 tablespoon (or so) of butter


Throw all except butter in a pot, turn it onto medium and cook to your hearts content. I literally cook this until it's dead (probably a good 15 minutes or so). Once you have cooked it until you feel it's done, remove from heat, add the butter and stir. I LOVE oatmeal that is really thick and then adding milk. The key is only separating little pieces so it's like chunks of thick oatmeal swimming in milk. Mmmmmmmm. I can't wait!


This is a supremely better option than those store bought ones. It has TONS less sodium and it tastes fantastic. Try it!


P.S. This recipe only feeds me and the 3 kids. We never make it with Kaye around because he thinks that oatmeal is a poor man's meal. Too bad for him....all the more for me! :)

1 comment:

Randa said...

sweet - the kids and i love oatmeal and i am so going to try this!!