Monday, January 12, 2009

A first for me

On Friday morning, I had to go to Olds. I had a doctor's appointment and I had all three kids. I also needed to pick up groceries at the local No Frills. Kaye, of course, was at work. Since it is a 40 minute drive into Olds, I do everything I can at once. Unfortunately, it happened to be naptime. As I pushed my cart into the produce section, Elijah was freaking out, screaming like a banshee. No matter what I did, he didn't like it. I tried letting him walk, holding him, putting him in the cart...nothing. I did however, go buy him a bag of teddy grahams, hoping this would help the situation. Not...

As I was pushing my cart over the bread section, a grouchy old shelf stocker came up to me and proceeded to give me crap about my children.

"Can't you keep your kid quiet? There are elderly people shopping! He is so irritating!!"

I was STUNNED! Who talks to a mom, obviously trying to get her kid to be quiet, like that? As if I was enjoying it!?! I tried my best to be polite and explain that he was really tired, hungry, you know, a kid....she just looked at me with disgust and told me she was a mother too. What did that mean??

Either way, I cried the entire time I shopped, and came out with about $50 worth of stuff I didn't need and about $100 worth of stuff I'd forgotten.

Really, what is a girl supposed to do? Her family needs to eat -we were hungry...really hungry at my house - so a girl needs to shop!

I'm curious why people feel the need to make things worse instead of helping to make them better!

Ahhh! I got it out of my system. I feel much better! :)

5 comments:

Randa said...

I CANT BELIEVE YOU JUST TOOK THAT!! There is no good reason to take that from someone! If you want to tell her off politely go ahead but you do not have to take that kristen! Tell her that if she has nothing helpful to say then she can just get back to work! or jump off a cliff - whatever you prefer. people like that drive me crazy! what business is it of hers? none obviously. if she wants to offer a free cookie or snack that would be welcome but nasty comments can be kept to herself!

Kathy T. said...

WHAT!!!!! Woman, I think you just got yourself a possee! There are a bunch of Mom's who - no doubt - would all like to accompany you - with all there "badly behaving children" next time you go shopping there and let the person be a little more irritated!

Absolutely, UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

You are a super-fantastic mom who doesn't need to give this griper a second thought!

mishel said...

I completely agree with Randa and Kathy. I totally feel your pain, I've had similar situations. It makes me so mad! When she said she was a mother you should have told her how sorry you were for her children! I hate it when people are so mean.

Kimara said...

Rude! Describe her and we'll carpool up and beat her up for you! It is so hard when your kids are tired. You are so lucky to have a nofrills close. I went to one once and couldn't believe the prices! Sorry you had such a bad experiences. Did you check out my blog yet?

Stephanie said...

I would have taken the box of Teddy Grahams, dumped them on the floor and walked away...
ok. I would not really have done that but I would have wanted to. I definitely would have called the manager tho. DO IT!! Call and tattle.. that will make you feel SO MUCH BETTER.
I hate when people think that their kids were perfect when raising them.
It's called "memory loss"... jerk!
(not you - hehe)