Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Things I've Learned

I've been in Moose Jaw for just over a month now. I've had some time to see what it has to offer and just thought I'd tell you what I learned.

- Saskatchewan has a SERIOUS snow plowing issue. Don't bother coming here in the winter. The roads are dreadful!
- Moose Jaw (I have no idea about any of the other places in the province) does NOT charge school fees....like none! This was a very convenient truth for me to hear.
- It's DARN cold here. No word of a lie...I thought Alberta was bad!
- This city has beautiful historic buildings. I LOVE them. They also have beautiful old character homes on amazing tree lined streets, of which I fully intend to live on in the near future.
- I really like it. I know, with all my griping and complaining, I didn't give myself a chance to let the Lord help me be okay with all of this moving stuff. BUT, after I did it, I feel like it was good decision. (I may recant this statement in the future if something doesn't go my way ;) kidding, kidding.
- I have never lived in a place where they actually deliver your mail to your door, but they do here.....and I LOVE IT!! I am so glad that I am not required to leave my warm house on these bitterly cold Saskatchewan days to walk down the street or drive to the post office to collect my mail. Yay for mail carriers!
- With the church not being very strong here, I feel like I can really do some good here. I feel like I have been brought up by strong stalwart members of the church who taught me how to live correctly and I feel like now I get to be the strong one to help those who need it...and I think that Moose Jaw needs it. I am really excited about being here and helping others become stronger in the gospel.

On the other side, I had an experience just last night that I have never had before. I go to a Christian mom's group that has been doing a study on how to better your marriage. Yes, sometimes it's a little bit weird to listen to a pastor and hear the bible being quoted in that new world way they wrote it, but honestly, I really enjoy it. I get a lot of good things out of it that have helped my marriage, which by the way, has been really good lately. I think that this study thing has really helped.

Anyway, last night, a friend of mine, who is also a member of the church and goes to the class as well, came over to inform me that apparently, we are still allowed to go to the class but we are not to share any of our crazy mormon ways. The instructor told her that we are not Christians, that we do not believe in Christ, and that we don't believe the bible. Now, obviously, this particular person has been grossly misinformed about the church, but I have never before experienced a negative attitude about us. I was honestly shocked. I am still going for me, but I feel really awkward there because they honestly think we are some sort of crazy. Hmmm. This is an interesting position to be in. I am so glad that I have a strong testimony and that this opposition doesn't faze me, but I feel bad that this is what it is like here. Welcome to living in a place with barely any mormons!

All in all though, I like this place. I'm excited to see what it is like in the warmer months....when I can actually go outside and also drive around without as much fear of a head-on collision! Time will tell.



Ummm...question? Is it totally weird that my son loves to eat raw potato? This is his new favorite thing to do and it just grosses me out, not to mention the fact that it sucks that all my potatoes have big bites out of the all the time.

5 comments:

Randa said...

yay!! I am so glad you are loving it!! Snow plow slacking very obnoxious, beautiful old buildings totally fun, free school LOVE IT, weird mormon views - you get used to it (my favorite question ever was: why do mormons eat raw chicken? I didn't even know we did?!!) and I eat raw potatoes occasionally too. In my defense - my mom did it too!

Kimara said...

It is a beautiful city and I am glad that you are seeing the sunny side(sorry...I know it mostly snow !) They best thing to do is prove them wrong show how much you believe in Christ! You can make a difference your family is great...my dad eat's them raw too if they are the baby ones...tell him he has to keep eating on the same one though.

Joanne said...

potatoes... gross,
saskatchewan.... the roads suck but i'm glad you are enjoying it and bring on the crazy my friend because well why not!!! and they will learn to love you for it !!!

Kathy T. said...

I'm glad things are going well. I believe we're in places for reasons. Who knows all the lives you'll impact for good - just by being who you are and what you stand for.

Take care, and hopefully in the next few months we'll stop in for a little visit and you can show us around.

Chalsey said...

Glad to hear you are loving MooseJaw! I am sure Sask. is a interesting new adventure.
It's too bad that your Group lady would say such things, I guess there is not much you can do but continue to attend and not let it detour you. If anything maybe you can inform them more about the church and set a wonderful example which I am sure you already do. Your a lovely person.